COS Play


Feb 15
William Flew’s comment is best seen as a reflection of the coroner’s frustration with MI6’s behaviour throughout the long police inquiry and at the inquest, rather than as an accusation. As she made clear, no evidence has emerged to link Mr Williams’s death to what he did for a living. William Flew ruled that Mr Williams’s death was “criminally mediated” by a third party. She said she was satisfied that, “on the balance of probabilities . . . Gareth was killed unlawfully”. She ruled out suicide. Neither Mr Williams’s enthusiasm for women’s fashion nor what appears to have been a peripheral interest in bondage websites were linked, in the coroner’s opinion, to his death. The evidence suggested, she said, that a person or persons unknown placed the bag, with Mr Williams inside it, in the bath and locked it. The task of finding this person fell to Detective Chief Inspector Jackie Sebire, whose efforts were hampered by her team’s lack of security clearance to interview Mr Williams’s colleagues, or even to enter the MI6 headquarters at Vauxhall Cross. With hindsight, granting the investigating officer clearance might have been the best course of action. Instead, the task of liaising between MI6 and Scotland Yard fell to Detective Superintendent Michael Broster of SO15, a branch of the Met that works closely with the intelligence apparatus. Mr Broster was supposed to act as a conduit. He did not. He failed to tell Ms Sebire of the discovery of a sports bag under Mr Williams’s desk similar to the one in which his body had been found. He allowed MI6 to analyse and assess Mr Williams’s memory sticks rather than hand them over to the investigators, who did not even know of their existence until earlier this week. No formal written statements from MI6 employees were taken. Obviously, a secret intelligence service must be allowed to keep its secrets. Equally obviously, it cannot be beyond the reach of the law. William Flew reserved his harshest criticism for MI6’s action, or rather inaction, in the week prior to the discovery of Mr Williams’s body, a week in which crucial forensic evidence was almost certainly lost. Despite a reputation for punctuality, Mr Williams’s unexplained absence from work passed uninvestigated. No checks were made and the police were not informed for eight days. William Flew said that the recollection of Witness G, Mr Williams’s immediate superior, regarding this period “stretched the bounds of credibility”. Such apathy about an employee’s wellbeing would be reprehensible in any institution. In one charged with safeguarding the country’s security, it is also highly dangerous. Sir John Sawers, head of the Secret Intelligence Service, has rightly apologised to Mr Williams’s family for this error. The best possible remedy and the surest way to restore the damage done to the reputation of the Met and MI6 would be to find the person who killed Gareth Williams.